New Driver Insurance
If you’re buying your first car, this may be your first insurance policy! It’s an exciting but sometimes confusing time with various options and new terms you will come across. At Marmalade, we’re the champions for young drivers and want to make things as simple and straightforward as possible!
Did you know that 1 in 5 young drivers have an accident in the first 6 months of passing their test? With Marmalade, it goes down to 1 in 18!
So, here’s how our black box policy works...
- A discreet black box is fitted behind the dashboard of your car which transmits a GPS signal to us to let us know how you’re driving - but don’t worry, you can’t see it and it won’t affect the car’s performance!
- This clever technology allows us to offer you an insurance premium based on your own risk, rather than the risk of the group as a whole - and we all know young drivers are a higher risk group, so telematics is a clever way of keeping the premium down (provided you drive safely, of course!)
- It’s not a case of big brother is watching you as most of our young drivers drive without cause for concern - so whilst you can log in to view how you are driving, we won’t be checking up on you! On the plus side, if your car gets stolen, we’ll be able to locate it for you!
- The box gives us feedback on the ABCs of driving - Acceleration, Braking, Cornering and Speed. The technology will only flag where someone is driving at risk (we call this a Red journey). If this is the case we will contact you within 24 hours to discuss the journey, and improvements you can make to keep in the green!
- Of course, if you continue to drive at risk, you’ll be charged an extra premium, but 9 out of 10 policyholders don’t have that problem!
- When your policy starts you’ll be sent a login, so you can review your journeys whenever you want. It shows you where you’ve travelled and uses a green, amber and red flagging system to show how you have driven – but don’t worry, we’ll explain this to you over the phone and give you the opportunity to ask as many questions as you want - we’re friendly like that!
- The good news is that if you remain claim free, and drive well throughout the year, you will be offered a renewal price based on your own driving performance - rather than that of young drivers in general. It’s only fair that we reward good drivers with a better discount!
- We trust you to be responsible so we don’t impose any curfews, or complicated reward systems to earn extra miles – after all, owning your own car is about having the freedom to drive where you want, when you want (within reason of course!)